9.01.2010

Fun Facts About Hawaii.


  • The Hawaiian alphabet consists of only twelve letters. The five vowels are A,E,I,O,U. And the seven consonants are H,K,L,M,N,P,W.
  • Hawaii is the only US state that grows coffee.
  • Its the most isolated population center on Earth. It is 2,390 miles from California, 3,850 miles from Japan and 4,900 miles from China.
  • Hawaii has its own time zone. It’s called Hawaiian Standard Time.
  • Barack Obama was born in Hawaii.
  • Hawaiians live longer than any other Americans. Life expectancy for males is 75, for females 80 years.
  • From east to west, Hawaii is the widest state in the United States.
  • The TV show LOST was filmed in Hawaii.
  • Sugarland's video "All I Wanna Do" was too.
  • Hawaii produces about 320,000 tons of pineapple each year.
  • Among all U.S. states, Hawaii has the highest percentage of women in the workforce, about 63 percent as of 2003. (suck it.)
  • Kauai is the oldest of the main Hawaiian Islands. It’s over six million years old.
  • It's always been on my list of places I really really want to go.
  • And the most fun fact of all?! ...I AM GOING THERE IN 22 DAYS!!!! (Sorry for the yelling.) Specifically here:
Kaanapali Beach in Maui. Look at the pictures again. I'll wait...

It's going to be four days of me saying, "Holy shitballs, we're in Hawaii!!!" (I might have to take a tally of how often this phrase is said), possibly peeing myself a small amount a few times, and taking a hundred million pictures. 

I'm slightly excited.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Sugarland also filmed "Keep You" in Hawaii- before they shot "All I Wanna Do," and Jennifer Nettles ACTUALLY cut her hair off. That's why it's long in that video, but short in the other.

Have fun. :)