6.15.2010

It could barf all over me if it wanted to - I just don't care.

Costa Rica was amazing. AMAZING. It lived up to every hope and every expectation spinning in my head for the last 5 months. Clearly it’s beautiful. The scenery is beautiful. The people were beautiful ( …and helpful, and kind, and friendly to the max, …and damn can they cook.) I had 8 days of, what my new friend Abbie would call, pure bliss. Traveling is seriously my bliss. Now don’t get me wrong, you are bound to run into some sort of trouble going to a third-world country (although, what Costa Rica lacks in money, they totally make up for in charm, …and trees.) Our plans changed slightly when a lovely little lady named Hurricane Agatha decided to visit Manuel Antonio at the exact time we did and stole our electricity and running water for a couple of days. If this were to happen at home, with things to do and places to go, I’d more than likely be cranky along with everyone else, but a hurricane in Costa Rica on vacation. Sign me up! Climbing over trees and fallen power-lines on the way to one of the prettiest beaches I’ve ever seen, …why the hell not?! You just have to go with it. Embrace it. Let the rain drench you while you’re walking uphill for 2 miles because, the next day you might get to swim in a hot river warmed by a volcano, or lay in the sun and watch a family of monkeys play in the trees right above you.
I brought along, “Eat, Pray, Love” with me to reread on this trip. I adore this book and thought that I’d get something different out of it if I happened to be reading it driving along a dirt road, on public transportation, in the middle of the jungle. Right? She sums up how I feel about traveling perfectly on page 41:
“To travel is worth any cost or sacrifice. I am loyal and constant in my love for travel, as I have not always been loyal and constant in my other loves. I feel about travel the way a happy new mother feels about her impossible, colicky, restless newborn baby - I just don’t care what it puts me through. Because I adore it. Because it’s mine. Because it looks exactly like me. It can barf all over me if it wants to - I just don’t care.” 



No comments: