12.01.2010

Saving second base.

Back in the summer sometime, Jessie asked me if I wanted to do the Susan G. Komen 3 Day For The Cure as part of the medical team. ABSOLUTELY!


I love volunteering, but hadn't done it since becoming a nurse. For a year before nursing school I spent four hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays at Phoenix Children's Hospital making crafts out of bedpans, turning empty syringes into butterflies, and playing with the most precious little kids with beautiful peach fuzzed heads. 


I miss it. So, I definitely jumped at the chance to do something like it again.


For those of you who don't know, the 3 Day is a, well, ...three day fundraising event for breast cancer where each person raises at least $2,300 (the highest was something like $23,000!) and then walks 20 miles a day and camps at night. All the walkers dress up in pink, some in crazy tutus and costumes, guys wear bras ...you know. :) It's a lot of fun.


We spent those three days mainly lancing and dressing blisters out on the route. And when I say blisters people, I mean BLISTERS. I had one lady that had six. ON EACH FOOT. And she still walked. And finished. Props to her. I bitch and moan when I have one little one on my heel and don't even have to walk another 20 miles with it. 


The best part was definitely the closing ceremonies. Getting to high-five and cheer for all the walkers crossing the finish line. They were SO happy. Smiling, crying, and clapping. :) It was really amazing to be a part of something that was bigger than myself. And also to be a part of something that raised 4 million dollars to help fight cancer.


Who knows, maybe I'll walk next year. I definitely want to try out showering in a truck once in my life...


A boob grab shot was bound to happen.




No comments: