3.21.2011

I'm Sarah, ...but I'm not from Poland.

Random title right? Okay. Here's the story.

When I first started this blog, I noticed (via a function that tells you the location of people that visit, ...sneaky :P) that a lot of the vistors were from Poland. Seemed kind of weird, but knowing that this site is 100% public, I really didn't think too much about it.

Eventually, I started getting multiple friend requests on Facebook from people from Poland and getting comments on blog posts that were not in English. A little weirder...

It turns out that a girl from Poland had been stealing my photos, and essentially my life, and pretending to be me over on a polish site called photoblog.com. I found her site, and sure enough, she had pictures from all my trips, portraits of people I have taken, videos, and numerous other things along with being able to go into full detail on the exact places they were taken and people's names. (All of which she read here or on flickr.) I was also getting so many visitors from Poland here, because she was also claiming that this was her blog and posting links to it on her site.

It didn't really bother me too much at first, it's a risk that you take whenever you post pictures on the internet without a watermark, until I started getting numerous comments and facebook messages about how I was the one lying and that I was the one stealing pictures from her


She has since deleted her site, but I still get messages about it. So, instead of responding to every one saying the exact same thing, I thought I'd post this here.


1. I am not from Poland. I've never been to Poland (Although, I would love to :) In fact, I've never even been to Europe. 


2. I do not, and have never, posted on photoblog.com


3. I do not speak Polish. 


4. I really do appreciate my little mini-Polish fan base though. haha :)

10 comments:

angela's eyes. said...

haha WOW it's crazy how people decide to take that step over that line called "appropriate"

doll said...

Everything well explained in this post. I had this "your" photoblog in 'Friends' on photoblog.com and never thought that it might be fake! She carefully followed your posts and life. Horrible. I'm glad to finally know who is the real Sarah Lasker.
Btw. - I invite you to Poland! :)
Klaudia.

Sarah Lasker said...

thank you :) hopefully someday I will make it there!

Cori said...

That is crazy!!! Kind of scary, but kind of cool, someone thought your life worthy of stealing? Don't tell Kelleigh Evans...in college a guy sent me a letter from prison after one of our soccer articles appeared in the Oregonian, she looked up his prison ID#, turned out he was a rapist/murderer!!! Scared the crap out of me!!! You be careful Ms. Lasker!!!

abbie said...

Wow! That is pretty crazy. and weird. why would someone do that?

Danielle said...

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery? It's also a tiny bit disturbing, but yeah... :)

Karolina said...

That's unbelievable! I followed "your" photoblog for a few years and lately i thought that you haven't posted anything in a while, and then noticed that the blog is gone, and then here I am. It's crazy... to be honest, for all this time the blog seemed a bit suspicious, but I've never really given it more thought. Anyways, whoever you are, I really love your work :)

Faustyna said...

I can't believe, this is really ... sick. I was in a state of shock when one day I wanted to see your new photos, but "your" photoblog disappeared. It was really sad for me, 'cause I was... I AM your huuuuge fan! Luckily
I found your real blog, it's a big relief! Greetings from Poland :)

Sarah Lasker said...

thank you dear :)

chino said...

Hi. I'm from Polish. I love your pictures. I watch them a few times a week. They are amazing. It is a pity that some people have their own lives just steal your beautiful photos. It's sad.